When federal law enforcement agencies start a government investigation that targets you or your company, how you respond and what you say are some of the most important aspects of a criminal case.
Not only can you make incriminating statements but you can also expose yourself to criminal liability for providing what the government would call false information. Whether you are an individual, corporation or government contractor, our federal government investigations lawyers and attorneys are here to help.
We guide you through the process. We are uniquely experienced in federal procurement and government contracting small business matters. This includes HUBZone investigations, SBA 8(a) Program and VA SDVOSB cases.
However, we are also well-versed in the wide range of activities that trigger federal investigations. Call our law firm today for immediate help at 1-866-601-5518.
- Respond to Subpoena’s appropriately
- Get help with the federal investigation process while having legal counsel available to protect your rights
- Have someone that represents your interests from beginning to end
- We are well-versed in federal contracts and small business program regulations.
- Help with criminal and civil cases involving federal government contracts
- We develop a team of professionals that address the hidden issues upfront
Regardless of whether or not you are officially a target in a criminal or other investigation, you should realize that later, you can easily become a target. Information or earlier statements made can come back to haunt you. As federal criminal defense attorneys, we provide nationwide legal representation and legal help who are also part of a procurement fraud investigation.
- Develop the best defense, avoid liability when possible and aggressively represent you against the federal government
- When liability is unavoidable, our corporate investigative lawyers negotiate the best outcome
- Nationwide legal defense services and federal crime lawyers
- Get critical questions answered and help through the process
- Help for businesses or individuals
- Complete representation from the investigation stage all the way through trial
Federal Government Investigations Lawyers & Corporate Legal Defense Services
At Watson & Associates, LLC, our federal government investigations lawyers and contractor defense attorneys represent corporate executives and individuals in a wide spectrum of white-collar litigation situations involving corporate federal government investigations. We can help clients with legal advice across the US and overseas companies in cases involving:
- Federal government fraud investigation and federal government contracts
- Help with
- White-Collar SEC investigations
- SBA small business size standards investigations
- Government contract compliance investigations
- Inspector General (IG) investigations
- Congressional investigations
- Procurement Integrity Act
- Federal contract criminal charge defense
- Anti-kickback federal investigations
- White-collar investigations
- Responding to federal subpoenas and request for documents
- DOJ federal investigations regarding government contracts
- Corporate investigations and government investigation privilege
- Government litigation
- SBA fraud investigation and federal small business programs (8(a), HUBZone), SDVOSB
- False Claims Act Government Investigation
- Invoices and performance issues
- Federal Bureau of Investigation FBI investigations for procurement
Clients for Government Investigation and Fraud Federal Criminal Investigations
As government contracting and corporate investigation lawyers, we represent:
- Fortune 100 companies
- Fortune 500 companies
- Federal government contractors
- Healthcare providers
- Transportation and logistics companies
- Small businesses
- Contractors involved in SBA Programs
- Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Businesses (SDVOSB) and VA contract investigations
- HUBZone Small Business
- Construction Companies
- Manufacturers and Service Contract Companies
Federal criminal investigative agencies are pushing their efforts to criminally prosecute government contractors and small businesses across the U.S. and Overseas. Our federal investigation lawyers are here to help.
- Pre-indictment and post-indictment representation
Government Contract Investigation Lawyers – Experience Matters
The federal investigation process begins with knowing how the system works, the specific underlying area of law that a prosecutor may bring charges and use it to your advantage. This includes federal small business and SBA programs, limitations in subcontracting, False Claims Act violations and more.
At Watson & Associates, LLC, our federal government investigations lawyers and white-collar crime defense attorney bring over 25 years of experience to , federal procurement fraud litigation and other types of government investigations.
WE CAN PUT TOGETHER A TEAM OF FORMER PROSECUTORS AND GOVERNMENT CONTRACT ATTORNEYS AND GET QUICKLY GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THE MATTER. WE UNDERSTAND THAT TO GET YOU IN THE BEST POSSIBLE POSITION, YOU HAVE TO ACT EARLY.
TYPES OF FEDERAL INVESTIGATION CASES
The law firm provides legal advice and representation in a variety of civil and federal investigations in criminal situations including DOJ procurement fraud investigations, government contract compliance investigations, SEC investigations, SBA IG and small business size cases, congressional investigations and government investigation regarding SBA size standards fraud and federal small business programs.
Whether you have reason to believe that your company is not following the rules or someone has filed a whistleblower action against you, preparing for a federal contract criminal charge is usually the best choice. If you wait until the federal government comes knocking on your door, it may be too late to repair any damage.
ARE YOU PLANNING OF RETAINING A TRADITIONAL CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY?
Many small businesses, individuals and large government contractors immediately seek to retain a local traditional criminal defense attorney. This is obviously one consideration. However, if the federal investigation is for a violation of procurement laws, then you want to hire legal counsel that also understands the various issues about government contracting involved in federal investigations.
- Hire federal criminal investigations attorneys that also understands the Federal Acquisition Regulations and applicable procurement laws
- You don’t want to spend unnecessary resources getting a regular criminal attorney up to speed on procurement laws
- Many federal investigations involve small business programs such as 8(a), SDVOSB and HUBZone legal issues. Having a federal investigations attorney
that also understands the unique requirements can be beneficial.
When Do You Know That You Are Under Investigation?
As an individual, corporation, or government contractor you will know that you are under federal investigation if federal agents try to communicate with you. As a federal government contractor, the Inspector General (IG), Federal Bureau of Investigation FBI Headquarters Washington DC, or other government investigation agencies may visit your home. Other federal investigation agencies can include Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Department of Veterans Affairs (Criminal Investigations Division, Office of the Inspector General), Drug Enforcement Administration, Health and Human Services (Office of Inspector General), SBA Office of Inspector General (IG) and other individual law enforcement offices.
- At federal installations, your rumor mill tends to send hints through the ‘grapevine’ if you are a federal employee.
- You can also know that you are under a federal government investigation if a federal prosecutor sends you a letter stating that you are a target in a criminal investigation or civil federal investigation.
- Are there subpoenas for tax records from government law enforcement agencies?
Are You A Federal Contractor or Employee Targeted for Federal Investigation for Criminal Procurement Fraud?
This is a very sensitive and unique area where you should exercise great caution. Federal government investigators usually investigation tips for criminal procurement fraud for years at a time. If you or your company is approached or receives a target letter, you want to act hastily. Get legal representation from a government investigative lawyer that also understands federal procurement law.
This is very important simply because many criminal defendants retain criminal defense attorneys that have no experience with the detailed and specialize nuances of federal government contracting law.
- Many criminal cases brought by federal law enforcement involve federal small business programs that have very unique rules. This includes HUBZone, Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business Programs, and the SBA 8(a) Business Development Program.
- At Watson & Associates, LLC our government investigation lawyers put together a team of government contracting attorneys and support staff that understand the rules. The goal is to protect you from improper allegations and criminal charges that federal govt investigation attorneys do not quite understand.
White-Collar Criminal Proceedings & Government Investigations for Federal Contract Fraud
Does Your Corporate Attorney or Criminal Defense Attorney Really Understand Government Contracting Regulations?
Oftentimes small businesses and larger DOD contractors face allegations of violating government compliance regulations. This can involve FAR compliance, SBA small business regulations such as SDVOSB, HUBZone and 8(a) Program compliance, and lead to other types of procurement fraud investigations. Agency law enforcement or investigative white collar and corporate crime departments such as the IG’s Office may initiate legal proceedings and target you for an official investigation. The problem in most cases is that your everyday corporate attorney may not fully understand the critical issues involved in your case. This is often the problem when allegations of government contract small business fraud are involved.
See also the signs of being under investigation.
Other white-collar litigation and legal proceedings or fraud investigation where you may want to protect your rights include questioning and interviews, request for subpoena and documents.
- When the agency believes that it has a stronger case against you, then other legal proceedings may include indictments and formal charges.
- Other companies face federal investigations and legal exposure for failure to follow contractor accounting standards (CAS).
These are areas where our federal government investigations law firm can help.
Federal Defense Attorneys for Government Contract Fraud Investigations
At Watson & Associates, LLC, our attorneys help large defense contractors and small businesses that are target or involved in government contract investigations. Our attorneys have extensive experience with federal contract small business matters, government contract fraud investigations involving the SBA 8(a) Program and VA’s Service Disabled Veteran Small Business (SDVOSB) investigations.
We find that we are more effective in representing our clients in federal contracting investigations because our law firm also litigates the substantive issues on a day-to-day basis.
Whether you are involved in a small business size investigation, limitations on subcontracting or allegations of misrepresentation on a government contract, small business and SBA 8(a) contract fraud, our defense attorneys can help.
Our goal is to help you to maintain the strongest legal footing and defense early in the investigative stage. If you don’t accomplish this goal early, then the federal prosecutors tend to gain an edge in the investigation and you my find yourself or company being indicted.
Military Contract and Government Construction Investigations Attorneys
A large majority of federal contract investigations occur on government construction projects. Allegations of false claims, misrepresentations, small business size violations and pass-through contract schemes are among the many criminal and civil allegations involved in government construction investigations. There are also criminal investigations for violation of Buy American laws and submitting substandard materials and defective invoices. These are all areas that our government contract investigations and defense lawyers can help you with.
Avoid Consequences to Making Costly Mistakes When Responding to a CID
When responding to a Civil Investigative Demand (CID), government contractors often make costly mistakes that trigger deadly results. For example, you do not want to second guess and make your own decisions about what you want to send or not send. You have to submit responsive documents.
If you are given a deadline to respond with documents, then you should request an extension before the deadline passes.
Make sure that you have legal representation of protect attorney client privileged information. If you are involved in a government construction contract or federal service contract investigation, you want to be kept in the loop and get the legal advice you need to make sound and effective decisions.
At Watson & Associates, our government contract investigation lawyers work closely with corporate executives and management to help them to make sound decisions when involved in a federal investigation.
Important Things to Know – How to Tell Signs of Being Under Investigation
Are You are Under Investigation and the Government Wants to Talk to You?
The first thing potential defendants in government contract investigations should do is to understand that they have a right to remain silent. You should also immediately seek help from a criminal defense or white-collar defense attorney that understands how the process works. At best, you should ask for a search warrant. This document should state what the investigators are looking for and areas expected to be searched. When you encounter signs of being under investigation, keep the following in mind.
- Do not speak to federal investigators or law enforcement without an attorney
- Do not speak to third-parties (even friends) about the situation (they are probably already working with the feds)
- Understand that statements made to third parties can be used against you by prosecutors
Call Watson’s Federal Investigation Lawyer
If you are looking to find a federal investigation lawyer or federal procurement frauds defense attorney to save you or your company from potentially thousands or millions of dollars in fines, help with a federal subpoena for records, or to avoid suspension or debarment, contact a white collar defense attorney today.
If you are involved in federal government fraud investigations, participation in public corruption, need to find out if you are being investigated or need assistance with white-collar crime litigation and criminal corporate investigation defense or federal procurement contract fraud investigation, corruption or an unpaid contract claim, call Watson’s federal government investigation lawyers for immediate help.
Call Watson’s government investigations law firm toll-free 1-866-601-5518 or 202.827-9750.