- Learn how a contractor teaming agreement vs joint venture rules applies to your government contracts.
- Did you know that your contractor teaming arrangements by themselves may not be enforceable in court?
- Avoid costly legal mistakes with SBA affiliation.
Small businesses often find that templates found on the internet offer more problems than they resolve. When you find another company that you want to do business with on a future government contract, your subcontract documents must assess the risk, and define the objectives while staying clear of SBA affiliation rules.
DOES YOUR TEAMING AGREEMENT TEMPLATE SAVE YOU FROM SBA AFFILIATION RULES?
Problem: Many government contractors do not fully understand how the new SBA rules impact their companies for potential affiliation. Team agreement and the ground rules must be complied with to avoid affiliation. Other small businesses sometimes mistakenly apply the rules for similarly situated small businesses. This can be a costly mistake that causes you as the awardee to lose the contract in a small business size protest.
Solution: The immediate solution is to first understand the teaming contract and ground rules from legal counsel who understands the nuances for forming contractor team contract; know the difference between a teaming agreement vs joint venture relationships.
Knowing whether or not a template or other generic subcontractor documents can withstand allegations of SBA affiliation in a bid protest should always be a major concern for small businesses and large contractors; avoid simply using templates from the internet.
Although SBA affiliation rules have significantly changed, team contracts and other types of contract arrangments and independent contractor forms are still being challenged as a violation of SBA regulations.
Government Contractor Legal Services
When it comes to business partnership contracts and helping with government subcontractor teaming contracts, our government small business attorneys provide a wide array of services including:
- Draft contractor teaming arrangements and review of federal independent contractor forms
- Federal government subcontractor contract law under FAR 9.601
- Avoiding limitation on subcontracting violations and penalties
- Legal advice on new SBA affiliation rules 13 CFR 121.103 and execution of legal partnership contracts
- Assessment of similarly situated businesses in each subcontractor agreement
- Application of joint venture arrangements and SBA affiliation rules to independent contractor forms.
- Meeting government contracts and CTA small business requirements
- Understanding the difference between and teaming contract vs joint venture
- Some prime and subcontractor team arrangement and joint venture agreement disputes
- Help with legally binding contract terms
- Small Business Size protest litigation and appeals to SBA Office of Hearings and Appeals (SBA OHA)
At Watson & Associates, LLC our federal subcontractor attorneys and FAR 9.601 subcontractor contract law consultants provide our clients with detailed guidance and aggressive legal representation that can reduce corporate liabilities while safeguarding company revenues.
When it comes to your government contract subcontractor agreement, we provide over 30 years of combined experience to companies that focus on proactive legal solutions and thinking out of the box.
Although the SBA has since initiated new rules that relax the old affiliation regulations by introducing the theory of similarly situated small businesses in contractor agreements, business partnership contracts, and teaming contracts can still be a dangerous undertaking. At Watson & Associates, our contractor government contract lawyers can help to avoid some of the costly legal pitfalls. See more information about joint venture affiliation under new rules.
IS YOUR TEAMING AGREEMENT ENFORCEABLE IN COURT?
During which stage in team formation does compliance matter?
From the initial stage of bid planning, you should be aware of the statutory requirements under FAR 9.601 and whether or not CTA team arrangements are, by themselves, enforceable contractual agreements in court. Knowing the difference between a teaming agreement vs subcontract is essential when forming a prime-sub relationship under FAR 9.6.
When a bidder represents to the agency that it has entered into a subcontractor agreement, the executed independent contractor form serves to let the agency know that a specific offeror has a valid commitment to perform the project.
- Courts have ruled that a subcontractor contract does not have the substantive terms of an enforceable teaming agreement. Instead, it is only an agreement to enter into a contract upon the award by the government.
- Bidders on federal contracts should seriously consider drafting an independent subcontract.
- This would meet the legal requirements of a contract and the parties’ rights would be enforceable under the subcontract in court.
- Although FAR 9.601 allows for general contractor agreements, there are crucial limitations
- A prime contractor can face harsh affiliation penalties from a bid protest.
Additional CTA Enforceability and Contractual Agreement Information
Find out whether your agreements are enforceable in Court.
Call Our Federal Government Contracting Lawyers
For help with your federal government contractor teaming agreements (CTA), joint venture contracts, or compliance with federal subcontractor teaming and affiliation regulations, or to make sure that you meet the statutory team definition and new SBA rules, call Watson’s government contract attorneys or call 1-866-601-5518 for a FREE Initial Consultation.