Watson & Associates LLC Qui Tam Whistleblower False Claims Act lawyers vigorously represent small businesses and large government contractors nationwide and overseas who are facing criminal and civil charges of procurement fraud involving government contracts. Our Whistleblower False Claims Act defense attorneys also represent clients involved in federal investigations in the United States. We are federal government contract attorneys that understand the procurement regulations and are in a better position to represent defendants involved in criminal cases and facing jail time.
- Not all contractor False Claims Act criminal defense attorneys understand the complex federal procurement rules or government contracting programs that prosecutors are coming after you for.
- Watson & Associates’ False Claims Act defense lawyers frequently help government contractors to defend against false claims allegations and respond to FCA investigations.
- We understand that not all allegations of fraud by government law enforcement are valid claims. We clients to avoid costly legal mistakes when it comes to government contracting.
As government contract False Claims lawyers, we have experience assessing allegations with the facts, and developing legal strategies to aggressively defend against government investigations for procurement fraud and regulatory noncompliance. When the federal government comes after you with allegations of fraud and criminal activity, we put together a team that understands both the criminal and government contracting aspects of the case. See Information on Grand Jury Indictments.
Overview of the Federal False Claims Act
The federal criminal and civil False Claims Act (FCA) is a recent priority for federal law enforcement agencies. The Department of Justice (DOJ) and various Offices of Inspector General (OIG) are going after federal contractors for a variety of reasons. One of the common areas is to pursue false claims against small businesses and large defense contractors is government contracting for what most would consider simple violations. In recent years, the most common allegations include the following:
- SBA small business fraud
- Buy American Act noncompliance
- SDVOSB fraud
- SBA. Small business size and affiliation violations
- Procurement Integrity Act
- HUBZone procurement fraud
- Pass-through contracts
- Submitting fraudulent invoices
- Anti-kickback violations
Watson & Associates’ Federal False Claims Act lawyers provide immediate help for federal contractors by aggressively defending in litigation and government investigations involving the Federal False Claims Act (FCA). Our legal team offers extensive experience handling the underlying issues that lead to FCA claims. Our goal is to form a legal defense team that focuses on developing a strong defense early in the case. It has been proven that the later defendants wait to retain legal counsel, the more difficult it is to overcome the allegations by federal prosecutors.
Qui Tam Federal False Claims Act Attorney Services
Our contractor False Claims lawyers represent clients in a variety of situations that can lead to penalties under the FCA They include:
- Buy American Act violations
- Bid rigging
- Procurement Integrity Act (PIA)
- Small business fraud allegations
- SBA 8(a) and HUBZone Fraud
- SDVOSB Fraud
- Substandard parts
- False invoices
- Pass-through contracting violations
- Improper joint venture and teaming arrangements
Federal Attorneys increasingly conduct government investigations and ultimately seek to bring actions under the federal False Claims Act. Whistleblowers (Relators) and their whistleblower lawyers also use the False Claims Act. and Qui Tam litigation that results in millions of dollars in damages. In addition to filing Qui Tam lawsuits for relators, Watson &. Associates’ False Claims Act lawyers help defense contractors defend FCA civil and criminal cases. We build tailored defense teams for your specific case and work to eliminate, reduce or eliminate the impact of the government’s investigation or criminal charges brought against you.
False Claims Act Violations and Penalties
The federal False Claims Act (FCA), 31 USC 3729, et seq, commonly referred to as “Lincoln’s Law,” is a huge weapon used by federal prosecutors to combat fraud against the United States. The federal government is primarily using the Act to seek out government contractors who defraud the government. With that said, not every allegation of contractor fraud is a valid claim. Therefore, contractors oftentimes have to seek out and retain legal counsel familiar with government contracting. The False Claims Act requires a penalty for all violations. False Claims Act violations bring penalties ranging as high as $25,076 per violation. Government contractors and small businesses can find themselves facing millions or tens of millions of dollars in penalties for their violations
False Claims Act Attorneys – Defense Tools Against False Claims Act Violations
When companies are charged or investigated for False Claims Act violations, that charge stems from an action or inaction by the individual or contractor. For example, there could be an underlying Buy American Act noncompliance issue. This can then lead to the ultimate false claim sought after by the government’s attorney. In order to defend a false claims case, it would require knowledge and experience in a variety of situations. This is especially true in government procurement fraud involving small business regulatory violations. The key to defending a False Claims Act case includes:
- Get to the underlying issue and assess the facts under current procurement law: This is especially true for Buy American Act and small business program disputes. For example, small businesses are charged with pass-through contracts and defrauding the government due to illegal size and business control activity. If a contractor can show that it is in fact in compliance with SBA regulations, then it would be more difficult to bring False Claims cases.
- Sift through all facts before developing a legal defense: Many companies make the mistake of asserting a legal defense but not knowing all the facts. Federal prosecutors spend a long time investigating FCA cases. Sometimes, they have internal witnesses who are employees. Having facts against you can create a difficult situation. Knowing the details can make a big difference when defending FCA cases.
- Our team has experience dealing with federal prosecutors and investigative agencies, including the Department of Justice, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and various Office of Inspectors General (OIG).
- Ability to assess potential liability: The ability to assess potential liability in an FCA case is essential. Watson & Associates whistleblower defense attorneys. look at the details and develop the strongest legal defense early in the case.
Qui Tam & Whistleblower Defense Attorneys – Government Allegations of Fraud
Government must be interested in the case: Whether the case is initiated by a Qui Tam Action or an internal inquiry from the contracting officer, the government will take control of the matter and start its internal investigation. If a Whistleblower lawyer is bringing a Qui Tam action on behalf of the government, he or she (Relator) is required to is required to retain False Claims Act whistleblower defense attorneys since the government does not want a layperson representing it in court.
Qui Tam false claims lawsuits are filed under seal. As result, the contractor or individual would not know about the lawsuit. Only the court and the government know of its existence. This is where clients are at a disadvantage when defending their rights. The stealth involvement of the government allows it to investigate under the radar. It can use tools such as informants, wiretaps, and various tools allowed by law.
What happens if the Government takes over an FCA Qui Tam case? : Government contractor defendants are at a great disadvantage in the initial false claims and Qui Tam litigation or investigation. Once the government interviews the Relator and decides to intervene in the case Defendant has to now develop a sound legal defense. Once the government takes over the Qui Tam case, it is generally convinced that it would win the case if it had to litigate in court. This makes it difficult to negotiate.
Relator and Their Attorney Get to Share the Profits in Successful FCA Qui Tam Cases: When a government contractor or defendant settles a Qui Tam case, the Relator and the Qui Tam False Claims attorney can share between 15% and 25% of the government’s recovery.
Aggressive Advocates and Contractor Defense Lawyers
Our government contractor defense team will initially gather what facts and details are involved, and consult with top management and key personnel. Our goal is to develop the best defense as early as possible. Sometimes, we must conduct an internal investigation to find out where any potential problems exist. Our False Claims Act lawyers. include former government contracting personnel that understands the applicable Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), SBA statutes or federal laws such as the Buy American Act, and other regulations that are the underlying violations that lead to false claims. Our government contractor whistleblower defense attorneys often will have to deal directly with federal attorneys in an effort to get the case dismissed or settle the matter. When the government initiates both a civil and criminal case, the Watson law firm will develop a defense plan that addresses each case.
Call Watson’s Federal False Claims Act Lawyers
Get a Free Initial Consultation: If you are a federal contractor or individual accused of a false or fraudulent claim or involved in a government investigation or FCA matter, call Watson &. Associates’ Whistleblower False Claims Act lawyers for immediate help. Call Toll-Free 1.866.601.5518.