Corporate governance essential develops a uniform practice where an organization can effectively handle legal issues that come up and maintain a healthy foundation for the company.
Watson & Associates Colorado business governance attorneys give legal advice to public and private business, boards of directors, senior management about corporate governance principles policies and practices.
- devlop uniform business practice that come in handy when there is an investigation
- eliminate caos in office
- Make sure that your company is in compliance state and federal regulations
33% of corporations in Colorado end up in court at some point. During litigation, attorneys usually find out that the company has no real concern about governing how the business is run.
When corporations are facing a crisis, or want to reassess their day-to-day operations, our Denver lawyers provide legal counsel and explain the need for corporate governance on a variety of issues. Our goal is to mitigate risk or promptly decompressing immediate threats to the business.
In our corporate and general business practice, our Denver lawyers help with the negotiation and preparation of all types of commercial and business contracts and agreements, employee agreements, partnership agreements, shareholder agreements, licensing agreements and agreements relating to intellectual property rights.
Corporate governance principles policies and practices
At Watson & Associates, LLC our Colorado lawyers evaluate our clients existing corporate governance practices and work with management, the board of directors and its committees to develop compliance best practices and alternatives. Our corporate law practitioners help with:
- Regulatory requirements
- Reporting obligations,
- Developing a business governance framework,
- Fiduciary duty matters,
- Corporate stockholder relations,
- Executive compensation,
- Employment policies and risk oversight
Our legal experience in business law and corporate governance gives us the ability to give our clients clear direction and honest legal opinions. We help with a variety of corporate law matters including internal investigations, change in control transactions, acquisitions and mergers, asset purchase sales, contract novations and executive successions.
Corporate Governance Framework & Legal Services
Our Colorado corporate governance and compliance activities for our Denver business clients include:
- Providing legal counsel and advice in meetings with senior management, board committee meetings and board of directors meetings
- Providing legal assistance with majority voting, corporate disputes, profit shares and annual regulatory filings.
- Drafting internal policies and controls when the company is found in violating federal law such as procurement regulations, suspension and debarment activities and participation agreements.
- Drafting and analyzing corporate materials, including corporate bylaws, board committee charters, corporate compliance guidelines, business codes of conduct and ethics, insider trading policies and programs, and disclosure controls.
- Corporate and good corporate compliance framework by advising committees of independent directors about commercial transaction, corporate mergers and acquisitions, spin-offs and spin-outs.
- Corporate structuring stemming from capital markets, M&A and other transactions.
- Corporate governance on issues relating to fiduciary duty and shareholder rights.
To speak with a corporate attorney about your legal needs, call Watson & Associates LLC at 720-941-7200.
For help with business and corporate governance frameworks, legal representation or transactional legal advice, our Colorado attorneys help small and large businesses in Denver CO, Colorado Springs, Aurora, Fort Collins, Lakewood, Thornton, Arvada, Westminster, Pueblo, Centennial, Boulder, Highlands Ranch, Greeley, Longmont, Loveland, Grand Junction; Columbine Valley, Superior, Louisville, Castle Pines Village; Cherry Creek CO, Holly Hills, Morrison, Cherry Hills Village, Bow Mar, Woodmoor, Centennial and more. Call our business and corporate law firm for help with your business legal matters.
Definition of Corporate Governance
Corporate law in Colorado is the bottom line no how a business operates on a day-to-day basis. The level of oversight is the heartbeat of the corporations.
The underlying principles of corporate law, such as mergers and acquisitions, business litigation, intellectual property and other critical decisions made by the corporation fall under the corporate compliance roof.
The definition of corporate and general governance also narrows down to how corporate directors and officers make decisions. Such decisions can severely impact the company and its shareholders.
Our Colorado corporate governance lawyers have a deep understanding of the various issues that can arise. We also advise our clients to retain competent tax counsel for complex matters
Why Good Corporate Compliance Framework in Colorado?
Developing a good business governance framework of an existing Colorado business is essential to the business future because executives have a uniform system that fosters policies and contractors for maintaining a cohesive business environment. Corporate compliance is designed to hold a company accountable while helping an organization steer clear of financial, legal and ethical costly mistakes.
Our corporate and general business practice in Colorado focuses on helping start-up companies and small businesses with entity formation, operating agreements, business contract drafting and review, and general compliance. As legal advisors, we treat every issue as though it were going before a judge.
Piercing the Corporate Veil
Corporate shareholders and other equity owners of Colorado corporations generally will not be personally liable for the debts and other liabilities of the corporation. A business creditor cannot seek payment from the shareholders’ personal assets, even when the corporation is owned by only one or two people because corporations have “limited liability.” This is commonly called the “corporate veil.” As a general rule, Limited liability will apply to other business entities, such as limited liability companies (LLCs), and limited partnerships in Colorado.
Sometimes, Colorado courts may “pierce the corporate veil” to hold one or more shareholders in a corporation, members (LLC) or limited partners personally liable for the debts of the company or partnership. The court may take this action if it thinks that justice requires such a result.
Common Failures by Corporations
Many companies fail to address the following corporate and general governance framework issues on a frequent basis
- Are company milestones being missed?
- Is the corporating meeting its business and financial targets?
- How does the competition measure up to our company?
- Is there a valid and imminent technology substitution threat to our company?
- Does management really have the skill set necessary for consistent and defined success?
Contact Our Denver Colorado Corporate Governance lawyers
If you are looking to find good corporate governance lawyers or small business lawyer for sound and cost-effective legal advice about the Colorado Corporations Act for your organization, contact our Denver corporation attorney at 1-866-601-5518. We offer Free Initial Consultations.
Statewide Business Representation: Our Denver-based business corporate governance lawyers serve businesses throughout Colorado including Arapahoe County, Adams County, Parker, Englewood, Thornton, Lakewood, Cherry Creek, Denver County, Jefferson County, Boulder, Aurora, Commerce City, South Denver Corporate law attorneys; Colorado Springs areas.